About this Example Accessibility Statement
Providing individuals using your website or software with information about accessibility is important to facilitating comfortable access. In this accessibility statement template, we will provide suggestions on the type of information and language you may wish to use in your accessibility statement to ensure that:
- Your users know who to contact should they have issues with accessing your website or software.
- Everyone who encounters your website or software knows that you have worked to make it accessible to everyone.
Keep in mind that this example accessibility statement provides only basic, essential information you should include in your accessibility statement, as recommended by authorities of digital accessibility, including W3C, WebAIM, and our suggestions as professionals with disabilities. If you would like more robust accessibility statement guidance, learn more about how WeCo can assist you on our Accessibility Policy Statement page.
What the Users Need to Know
People who live with a disability can often find themselves frustrated and without assistance when attempting to use your website. For example, they may be accustomed to having nowhere to turn if they cannot find information, make a form work, access a video, or attend a webinar.
That is why it’s vital for your organization to have a person and place listed on your website where people can turn if they experience accessibility issues. Please include the following components in your accessibility message:
- A brief explanation that you are offering assistance to people who may be having difficulty accessing your website or product.
- An option for the user to access this assistance via email and via phone. Depending upon the type of disability a person lives with, one may be easier for them to use than the other.
- If possible, have one or two people designated as an “accessibility assistance contact” person. If you do not have the ability to designate one or two people, you can list a department or section to assist individuals. For instance, this might include IT, customer service, or public relations. The people responding to these requests should receive some type of orientation or training on how to respond to the accessibility needs of potential users, including how to interact effectively with people living with a variety of disabilities. (WeCo provides this type of training; contact us to learn more.)
Example Accessibility Statement for Our Company
Crafted by Our Company
June 14, 2023
At Our Company, we are dedicated to creating a digitally accessible experience for everyone, including people living with disabilities. The work we do to provide the best user experience for everyone is ongoing, through applying the current accessibility standards as they apply to our public website.
Our Company has applied the following standards to our website:
- WCAG 2.1 AA
- Section 508
Our Company’s website was assessed on June 14, 2023 for compliance to the WCAG 2.1 AA and Section 508 standards through a manual accessibility audit performed by Digital Accessibility by WeCo. You can find the report generated from this assessment here: [link to assessment]
Our Company’s website has had a disability-focused usability assessment completed on June 25, 2023 by WeCo’s Certified Test Consultant Team. You can find the link to this assessment here: [link to assessment]
Accessibility Contact: Questions and Feedback
We are here to answer your accessibility questions, assist with any barriers to accessibility you may experience, and take your suggestions. Please contact us through the information below:
Jane Doe – Accessibility Lead
Phone number: 555-555-5555 / Email address: [email protected]
You will receive a response within five business days.
Organizational Efforts Towards Accessibility
Our Company has made the following efforts to integrate accessibility into our organization:
- Include accessibility throughout our internal policies.
- Integrate accessibility into our procurement practices.
- Appoint an accessibility officer and/or ombudsperson.
- Provide continual accessibility training for our staff.
- Assign clear accessibility targets and responsibilities.
This accessibility statement was created on June 14, 2023 by Our Company: [Link to Our Company’s website] or [email protected]